[USC02] 16 USC CHAPTER 1, SUBCHAPTER LI: INDEPENDENCE NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK
Result 1 of 1
   
 

TEXT OF PART V OF SUBTITLE A (3001 ET SEQ.), EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2022, CURRENTLY SET OUT AS A PREVIEW

16 USC CHAPTER 1, SUBCHAPTER LI: INDEPENDENCE NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK
From Title 16—CONSERVATIONCHAPTER 1—NATIONAL PARKS, MILITARY PARKS, MONUMENTS, AND SEASHORES

SUBCHAPTER LI—INDEPENDENCE NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK

§407m. Establishment; acquisition of land; property involved

For the purpose of preserving for the benefit of the American people as a national historical park certain historical structures and properties of outstanding national significance located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and associated with the American Revolution and the founding and growth of the United States, the Secretary of the Interior, following the consummation of agreements with the city of Philadelphia and the Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia as prescribed in section 407n of this title, is authorized to acquire by donation or with donated funds, or to acquire by purchase, any property, real or personal, within the following-described areas, such park to be fully established as the "Independence National Historical Park" when, in the opinion of the Secretary, title to sufficient of the lands and interests in lands within such areas, shall be vested in the United States: Provided, That the park shall not be established until title to the First United States Bank property, the Merchants' Exchange property, the Bishop White house, the Dilworth-Todd-Moylan house, and the site of the Benjamin Franklin house, together with two-thirds of the remaining lands and interests in lands within the following-described areas, shall have been vested in the United States:

(a) An area of three city blocks bounded generally by Walnut Street, Fifth Street, Chestnut Street, and Second Street, but excluding the new United States customhouse at the southeast corner of Second and Chestnut Streets, identified as "project A", as described in the report of the Philadelphia National Shrines Park Commission, dated December 29, 1947.

(b) A memorial thoroughfare, or mall, extending generally from the south side of Walnut Street to the north side of Manning Street, identified as part of "project B" in the report of the Commission. The properties identified generally as 269, 271, 273, and 275 South Fifth Street in "project B" in the report of the Commission.

(c) The site of the residence of Benjamin Franklin, and related grounds, comprising approximately a one-hundred-foot-wide strip, extending southward from Market Street approximately three hundred feet between Third and Fourth Streets, and encompassing a portion of Orianna Street, identified as "project C" in the report of the Commission.

(d) Certain land and buildings immediately adjacent to Christ Church, situated on the west side of Second Street, and north of Market Street, identified as "project E" in the report of the Commission, and certain land and buildings adjoining "Project E", being known and numbered as 8, 10, and 12 North Second Street and 201, 203, 205, 207, 209, 211–213, 215, 217, 219, and 221 Market Street: Provided, That the Secretary of the Interior first enter into an agreement with the proprietor or proprietors of said property (Christ Church), said agreement to contain the usual and customary provisions for the protection of the property, assuring its physical maintenance as a national shrine, without any limitation or control over its use for customary church purposes.

(June 28, 1948, ch. 687, §1, 62 Stat. 1061; July 10, 1952, ch. 653, §1, 66 Stat. 575; Pub. L. 85–764, §3(a), Aug. 27, 1958, 72 Stat. 862.)

Amendments

1958—Subsec. (d). Pub. L. 85–764 included certain lands and buildings adjoining "project E" being known and numbered as 8, 10, and 12 North Second Street and 201, 203, 205, 207, 209, 211–213, 215, 217, 219, and 221 Market Street.

1952—Subsec. (b). Act July 10, 1952, inserted second sentence.

Gateway Visitor Center

Pub. L. 106–131, Dec. 7, 1999, 113 Stat. 1678, provided that:

"SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

"This Act may be cited as the 'Gateway Visitor Center Authorization Act of 1999'.

"SEC. 2. FINDINGS AND PURPOSE.

"(a) Findings.—The Congress finds the following:

"(1) The National Park Service completed and approved in 1997 a general management plan for Independence National Historical Park that establishes goals and priorities for the park's future.

"(2) The general management plan for Independence National Historical Park calls for the revitalization of Independence Mall and recommends as a critical component of the Independence Mall's revitalization the development of a new 'Gateway Visitor Center'.

"(3) Such a visitor center would replace the existing park visitor center and would serve as an orientation center for visitors to the park and to city and regional attractions.

"(4) Subsequent to the completion of the general management plan, the National Park Service undertook and completed a design project and master plan for Independence Mall which includes the Gateway Visitor Center.

"(5) Plans for the Gateway Visitor Center call for it to be developed and managed, in cooperation with the Secretary of the Interior, by a nonprofit organization which represents the various public and civic interests of the greater Philadelphia metropolitan area.

"(6) The Gateway Visitor Center Corporation, a nonprofit organization, has been established to raise funds for and cooperate in a program to design, develop, construct, and operate the proposed Gateway Visitor Center.

"(b) Purpose.—The purpose of this Act is to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to enter into a cooperative agreement with the Gateway Visitor Center Corporation to construct and operate a regional visitor center on Independence Mall.

"SEC. 3. GATEWAY VISITOR CENTER AUTHORIZATION.

"(a) Agreement.—The Secretary of the Interior, in administering the Independence National Historical Park, may enter into an agreement under appropriate terms and conditions with the Gateway Visitor Center Corporation (a nonprofit corporation established under the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania) to facilitate the construction and operation of a regional Gateway Visitor Center on Independence Mall.

"(b) Operations of Center.—The Agreement shall authorize the Corporation to operate the Center in cooperation with the Secretary and to provide at the Center information, interpretation, facilities, and services to visitors to Independence National Historical Park, its surrounding historic sites, the City of Philadelphia, and the region, in order to assist in their enjoyment of the historic, cultural, educational, and recreational resources of the greater Philadelphia area.

"(c) Management-Related Activities.—The Agreement shall authorize the Secretary to undertake at the Center activities related to the management of Independence National Historical Park, including, but not limited to, provision of appropriate visitor information and interpretive facilities and programs related to Independence National Historical Park.

"(d) Activities of Corporation.—The Agreement shall authorize the Corporation, acting as a private nonprofit organization, to engage in activities appropriate for operation of a regional visitor center that may include, but are not limited to, charging fees, conducting events, and selling merchandise, tickets, and food to visitors to the Center.

"(e) Use of Revenues.—Revenues from activities engaged in by the Corporation shall be used for the operation and administration of the Center.

"(f) Protection of Park.—Nothing in this section authorizes the Secretary or the Corporation to take any actions in derogation of the preservation and protection of the values and resources of Independence National Historical Park.

"(g) Definitions.—In this section:

"(1) Agreement.—The term 'Agreement' means an agreement under this section between the Secretary and the Corporation.

"(2) Center.—The term 'Center' means a Gateway Visitor Center constructed and operated in accordance with the Agreement.

"(3) Corporation.—The term 'Corporation' means the Gateway Visitor Center Corporation (a nonprofit corporation established under the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania).

"(4) Secretary.—The term 'Secretary' means the Secretary of the Interior."

Mikveh Israel Cemetery

Act Aug. 6, 1956, ch. 1018, 70 Stat. 1074, provided that: "Upon compliance with the provisions of section 2 of this Act, the Mikveh Israel Cemetery, located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and containing the graves of Haym Salomon and other outstanding patriots of the Revolutionary War who played important parts in the early history of the United States, shall be declared to be a unit of the Independence National Historical Park: Provided, That the United States shall not thereby assume any responsibility to provide for the administration, care, or maintenance of said Mikveh Israel Cemetery.

"Sec. 2. This Act shall become effective if and when the Mikveh Israel Congregation, through its duly authorized representatives, has executed an agreement in terms and conditions satisfactory to the Secretary of the Interior, providing for the continuing administration, care, and maintenance, without expense to the United States, of the Mikveh Israel Cemetery, whereupon said Secretary shall issue a notice declaring that said requirement has been met and that Mikveh Israel Cemetery is formally designated a unit of the Independence National Historical Park."

§407m–1. Acquisition of additional lands and buildings

The Secretary of the Interior is authorized to acquire by donation or with donated funds, or to acquire by purchase, the land and buildings immediately adjacent to, but not including, the St. George's Methodist Church property, which land and buildings are identified generally as 318, 320, and 322 New Street, for inclusion in the Independence National Historical Park: Provided, That the Secretary shall first enter into an agreement with the proprietor or proprietors of the St. George's Methodist Church property, such agreement to contain the usual and customary provisions for the protection and physical maintenance of said church property, without expense to the United States, in keeping with, but not as a part of, the nearby Independence National Historical Park and providing for its continued use, without limitation or control, for customary church purposes.

(Pub. L. 86–54, §1, June 23, 1959, 73 Stat. 88.)

Codification

Section was not enacted as a part of act June 28, 1948, ch. 687, 62 Stat. 1061, as amended, which comprises this subchapter.

Appropriations

Pub. L. 86–54, §2, June 23, 1959, 73 Stat. 88, provided that: "There are hereby authorized to be appropriated such sums, not exceeding $25,000, as may be necessary to carry out the purposes of section 1 of this Act [this section]."

§407m–2. Acquisition of property adjacent to Old Saint Joseph's Church

The Secretary of the Interior is authorized to acquire by donation or with donated funds, or to acquire by purchase, from the Redevelopment Authority of the City of Philadelphia the land and interests in land immediately adjacent to, but not including the Old Saint Joseph's Church property in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which land and interests in land are identified on the records of the city of Philadelphia as 324, 326, 328, 330, 332, 334 and 336 Walnut Street, for inclusion in the Independence National Historical Park: Provided, That the Secretary shall first enter into an agreement with the proprietor or proprietors of the Old Saint Joseph's Church property, such agreement to contain the usual and customary provisions for the protection and physical maintenance of such church property, without expense to the United States, in keeping with, but not as a part of the nearby Independence National Historical Park and providing for its continued use, without limitation or control, for customary church purposes.

(Pub. L. 86–273, §1, Sept. 14, 1959, 73 Stat. 556.)

Codification

Section was not enacted as a part of act June 28, 1948, ch. 687, 62 Stat. 1061, as amended, which comprises this subchapter.

Appropriations

Section 2 of Pub. L. 86–273 authorized to be appropriated such sums, not exceeding $46,200 as were necessary to carry out the purposes of this section.

§407m–3. Acquisition of site of Graff House

In order to include in Independence National Historical Park the site of the Graff House where Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, the Secretary of the Interior is authorized to acquire by purchase, donation, or with donated funds all or any interests in the land and improvements thereon located at the southwest corner of Market and South Seventh Streets, in the city of Philadelphia, State of Pennsylvania, and more particularly described as follows:

Beginning at a point located at the intersection of the southerly line of Market Street with the westerly line of South Seventh Street, thence southerly along the west side of South Seventh Street 124 feet, thence westerly 50 feet, thence northerly 124 feet, thence easterly 50 feet to the point of beginning.

(Pub. L. 88–477, §1, Aug. 21, 1964, 78 Stat. 587.)

Codification

Section was not enacted as a part of act June 28, 1948, ch. 687, 62 Stat. 1061, as amended, which comprises this subchapter.

§407m–4. Erection of replica of Graff House; maintenance

The Secretary is further authorized to erect on the site aforesaid, with donated funds, a replica of the Graff House and to furnish and maintain the same.

(Pub. L. 88–477, §2, Aug. 21, 1964, 78 Stat. 587.)

Codification

Section was not enacted as a part of act June 28, 1948, ch. 687, 62 Stat. 1061, as amended, which comprises this subchapter.

§407m–5. Inclusion of additional lands and building; administration

The lands hereinbefore described and the building to be erected thereon shall become a part of the Independence National Historical Park and shall be administered in accordance with the laws and regulations applicable thereto.

(Pub. L. 88–477, §3, Aug. 21, 1964, 78 Stat. 587.)

Codification

Section was not enacted as a part of act June 28, 1948, ch. 687, 62 Stat. 1061, as amended, which comprises this subchapter.

§407m–6. Authorization of appropriations

There are authorized to be appropriated such sums, but not more than $200,000, as may be necessary for acquisition of the land described in section 407m–3 of this title: Provided, That the Secretary of the Interior shall not obligate or expend any moneys herein authorized to be appropriated for acquisition of the land unless and until commitments are obtained for donations in an amount which in the judgment of the Secretary is sufficient to provide a replica of the Graff House in accordance with section 407m–4 of this title.

(Pub. L. 88–477, §4, Aug. 21, 1964, 78 Stat. 587.)

Codification

Section was not enacted as a part of act June 28, 1948, ch. 687, 62 Stat. 1061, as amended, which comprises this subchapter.

§407m–7. Exchange of property

The Secretary of the Interior is authorized to convey on behalf of the United States a certain tract of land, or any interest therein, being a portion of Independence National Historical Park project B, embracing fifteen thousand six hundred and fifty square feet, more or less, and situate on the northeast corner of South Fifth Street and Marshall Court (formerly Manning Street), city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, together with the improvements thereon, to the Redevelopment Authority of the City of Philadelphia in exchange for property, or interest therein, owned by the authority of approximately equal value and which the Secretary deems necessary for use in connection with the Independence National Historical Park. Property conveyed by the Secretary pursuant to this section shall thereupon cease to be a part of the park, and the property acquired in exchange therefor shall thereafter be a part of the park, subject to all the laws and regulations applicable to the park.

(Pub. L. 88–604, Sept. 18, 1964, 78 Stat. 958.)

Codification

Section was not enacted as a part of act June 28, 1948, ch. 687, 62 Stat. 1061, as amended, which comprises this subchapter.

§407m–8. Independence National Historical Park boundary adjustment

The administrative boundary between Independence National Historical Park and the United States Customs House along the Moravian Street Walkway in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is hereby modified as generally depicted on the drawing entitled "Exhibit 1, Independence National Historical Park, Boundary Adjustment", and dated May 1987, which shall be on file and available for public inspection in the Office of the National Park Service, Department of the Interior. The Secretary of the Interior is authorized to accept and transfer jurisdiction over property in accord with such administrative boundary, as modified by this section.

(Pub. L. 104–333, div. I, title II, §204, Nov. 12, 1996, 110 Stat. 4106.)

Codification

Section enacted as part of the Omnibus Parks and Public Lands Management Act of 1996, and not as part of act June 28, 1948, ch. 687, 62 Stat. 1061, as amended, which comprises this subchapter.

§407n. Cooperative agreements between Secretary of the Interior and City of Philadelphia; contents

In furtherance of the general purposes of this subchapter as prescribed in section 407m of this title, the Secretary of the Interior is authorized to enter into cooperative agreements with the city of Philadelphia to assist in the preservation and interpretation of the property known as the Independence Hall National Historic Site and with the Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia to assist in the preservation and interpretation of Carpenters' Hall, in connection with the Independence National Historical Park. Such agreements shall contain, but shall not be limited to, provisions that the Secretary of the Interior, through the National Park Service, shall have right of access at all reasonable times to all public portions of the property now within Independence Hall National Historic Site and to Carpenters' Hall for the purpose of conducting visitors through such buildings and grounds and interpreting them to the public, that no changes or alterations shall be made in the property within the Independence Hall National Historic Site, including its buildings and grounds, or in Carpenters' Hall, except by mutual agreement between the Secretary of the Interior and the other parties to the contracts.

(June 28, 1948, ch. 687, §2, 62 Stat. 1061.)

Transfer of Functions

For transfer of functions of other officers, employees, and agencies of Department of the Interior, with certain exceptions, to Secretary of the Interior, with power to delegate, see Reorg. Plan No. 3 of 1950, §§1, 2, eff. May 24, 1950, 15 F.R. 3174, 64 Stat. 1262, set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees.

§407o. Construction of buildings; acceptance of donations

The Secretary of the Interior, in his discretion, is authorized to construct upon a portion of the land described in section 407m of this title, or upon other land that may be donated for such purpose, which property he is authorized to accept, such offices and administration buildings as he may deem advisable, together with a suitable auditorium for the interpretation of the historical features of the national historical park. The Secretary of the Interior is also authorized to accept donations of property of national historical significance located in the city of Philadelphia which the Secretary may deem proper for administration as part of the Independence National Historical Park. Any property donated for the purposes of this section shall become a part of the park, following its establishment, upon acceptance by the United States of title to such donated property. The Secretary of the Interior is authorized to permit the American Philosophical Society, a nonprofit corporation, without cost to the United States, to construct, operate, and maintain in the park a building to be located on approximately the original site of historic Library Hall to house the library of the American Philosophical Society and any additions to said library, such permission to be granted the society pursuant to a lease, contract, or authorization without charge, on such terms and conditions as may be approved by the Secretary and accepted by the society, and for such length of time as the society shall continue to use the said building for the housing, display, and use of a library and scientific and historical collections: Provided, That the plans for the construction of the building and any additions thereto shall be approved by the Secretary of the Interior.

(June 28, 1948, ch. 687, §3, 62 Stat. 1062; July 10, 1952, ch. 653, §2, 66 Stat. 575.)

Amendments

1952—Act July 10, 1952, inserted last sentence.

Acquisition of Land Encroached Upon by Deshler-Morris House

Pub. L. 85–702, Aug. 21, 1958, 72 Stat. 701, provided: "That, for the purpose of placing in Government ownership a small strip of land encroached upon by the Deshler-Morris House, which was donated to the United States and accepted as a part of Independence National Historical Park pursuant to section 3 of the Act of June 28, 1948 (62 Stat. 1061) [this section], the Secretary of the Interior is authorized to acquire the following land:

"Beginning at a point on the southwesterly side of Germantown Avenue at the distance of 165 feet 7½ inches southeastwardly from the southeasterly side of School House Lane, in the 22d ward of the city of Philadelphia; thence extending south 41 degrees 50 minutes 46 seconds west 44 feet to a point; thence extending north 48 degrees 58 minutes 40 seconds west 6 feet 1 inch to a point; thence extending south 42 degrees 8 minutes 17 seconds west 106 feet 4 inches to a point of corner; thence extending south 48 degrees 58 minutes 40 seconds east 12 feet 1½ inches to a point of corner; thence extending north 41 degrees 50 minutes 46 seconds east 150 feet 37/8 inches to the southwesterly side of Germantown Avenue; thence extending north 48 degrees 58 minutes 40 seconds west along the southwesterly side of Germantown Avenue 5 feet 6 inches to the first mentioned point and place of beginning."

§407p. Establishment of advisory commission; composition, appointment, and duties

The Secretary of the Interior is authorized, in his discretion, to establish a suitable advisory commission of not to exceed eleven members. The members of the advisory commission shall be appointed by the Secretary of the Interior, with three members to be recommended by the Governor of Pennsylvania, three by the mayor of Philadelphia, and one each by the Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia and the Independence Hall Association.

The functions of the advisory commission shall be to render advice to the Secretary of the Interior, from time to time, upon matters which the Secretary of the Interior may refer to them for consideration.

(June 28, 1948, ch. 687, §4, 62 Stat. 1062.)

Termination of Advisory Commissions

Advisory commissions in existence on Jan. 5, 1973, to terminate not later than the expiration of the 2-year period following Jan. 5, 1973, unless, in the case of a commission established by the President or an officer of the Federal Government, such commission is renewed by appropriate action prior to the expiration of such 2-year period, or in the case of a commission established by the Congress, its duration is otherwise provided for by law. See sections 3(2) and 14 of Pub. L. 92–463, Oct. 6, 1972, 86 Stat. 770, 776, set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees.

§407q. Administration, protection, and development

The administration, protection, and development of the park shall be exercised under the direction of the Secretary of the Interior by the National Park Service, subject to the provisions of the Act of August 25, 1916 (39 Stat. 535; 16 U.S.C. 1–4),1 as amended and supplemented, and the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 (49 Stat. 666; 16 U.S.C. 461–467).1

(June 28, 1948, ch. 687, §5, 62 Stat. 1062.)

References in Text

The Act of August 25, 1916 (39 Stat. 535; 16 U.S.C. 1–4), referred to in text, is act Aug. 25, 1916, ch. 408, 39 Stat. 535, known as the National Park Service Organic Act, which enacted sections 1, 2, 3, and 4 of this title and provisions set out as a note under section 100101 of Title 54, National Park Service and Related Programs. Sections 1 to 4 of the Act were repealed and restated as section 1865(a) of Title 18, Crimes and Criminal Procedure, and section 100101(a), chapter 1003, and sections 100751(a), 100752, 100753, and 102101 of Title 54 by Pub. L. 113–287, §§3, 4(a)(1), 7, Dec. 19, 2014, 128 Stat. 3094, 3260, 3272. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Tables. For disposition of former sections of this title, see Disposition Table preceding section 100101 of Title 54.

The Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 (49 Stat. 666; 16 U.S.C. 461–467), referred to in text, is act Aug. 21, 1935, ch. 593, 49 Stat. 666, also known as the Historic Sites Act of 1935 and as the Historic Sites, Buildings, and Antiquities Act, which enacted sections 461 to 467 of this title. The Act was repealed and restated as section 1866(a) of Title 18, Crimes and Criminal Procedure, and sections 102303 and 102304 and chapter 3201 of Title 54, National Park Service and Related Programs, by Pub. L. 113–287, §§3, 4(a)(1), 7, Dec. 19, 2014, 128 Stat. 3094, 3260, 3272. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Tables. For disposition of former sections of this title, see Disposition Table preceding section 100101 of Title 54.

Transfer of Functions

For transfer of functions of other officers, employees, and agencies of Department of the Interior, with certain exceptions, to Secretary of the Interior, with power to delegate, see Reorg. Plan No. 3 of 1950, §§1, 2, eff. May 24, 1950, 15 F.R. 3174, 64 Stat. 1262, set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees.

Development of Park; Appropriation

Pub. L. 85–764, §§1, 2, Aug. 27, 1958, 72 Stat. 861, authorized the Secretary of the Interior to proceed with the development of Independence National Historical Park, the establishment of which was authorized by the Act of June 28, 1948 (62 Stat. 1061) [this subchapter], in accordance with plans to be approved by the Secretary, authorized to be appropriated for the development of said park pursuant to this Act the sum of $7,250,000, and provided that all funds authorized to be appropriated under this Act be expended by June 30, 1963.

1 See References in Text note below.

§407r. Authorization of appropriations

For the purpose of acquiring the property described in section 407m of this title, there is authorized to be appropriated not to exceed the sum of $12,792,000. Funds appropriated pursuant to this subchapter shall be available for any expenses incidental to acquisition of property as prescribed by this subchapter, including the employment of the necessary services in the District of Columbia, and including to the extent deemed necessary by the Secretary of the Interior, the employment without regard to the civil-service laws of such experts and other officers and employees as are necessary to carry out the provisions of this subchapter efficiently and in the public interest.

(June 28, 1948, ch. 687, §6, 62 Stat. 1062; July 10, 1952, ch. 653, §3, 66 Stat. 575; Pub. L. 85–764, §3(b), Aug. 27, 1958, 72 Stat. 862; Pub. L. 91–293, June 25, 1970, 84 Stat. 333; Pub. L. 93–477, title I, §101(5), Oct. 26, 1974, 88 Stat. 1445.)

Codification

Provisions that authorized the employment of such experts and other officers and employees as are necessary to carry out this subchapter "without regard to the Classification Act of 1923, as amended", were omitted as obsolete. Sections 1202 and 1204 of the Classification Act of 1949, 63 Stat. 972, 973, repealed the 1923 Act and all laws or parts of laws inconsistent with the 1949 Act. While section 1106(a) of the 1949 Act provided that references in other laws to the 1923 Act should be held and considered to mean the 1949 Act, it did not have the effect of continuing the exception contained in this section because of section 1106(b) which provided that the application of the 1949 Act to any position, officer, or employee shall not be affected by section 1106(a). The Classification Act of 1949 was repealed by Pub. L. 89–554, Sept. 6, 1966, §8(a), 80 Stat. 632 (the first section of which enacted Title 5, Government Organization and Employees, into law). Section 5102 of Title 5 contains the applicability provisions of the 1949 Act, and section 5103 of Title 5 authorized the Office of Personnel Management to determine the applicability to specific positions and employees.

Amendments

1974Pub. L. 93–477 substituted "$12,792,000" for "$11,200,000".

1970Pub. L. 91–293 substituted "$11,200,000" for "$7,950,000".

1958Pub. L. 85–764 substituted "$7,950,000" for "$7,700,000".

1952—Act July 10, 1952, substituted "$7,700,000" for "$4,435,000".

§407s. Administration and operation of properties; use of funds; contracts

Following the acquisition by the Federal Government of properties pursuant to this subchapter and until such time as the buildings thereon are demolished or the properties and buildings thereon are devoted to purposes of the Independence National Historical Park as provided herein, the Secretary is authorized, with respect to the said properties, to administer, operate, manage, lease, and maintain such properties, and lease, demolish, or remove buildings, or space in buildings thereon, in such manner as he shall consider to be in the public interest. Any funds received from leasing the said properties, buildings thereon, or space in buildings thereon, shall be deposited to the credit of a special receipt account and expended for purposes of operating, maintaining, and managing the said properties and demolishing or removing the buildings thereon. The Secretary, in his discretion and notwithstanding other requirements of law, may exercise and carry out the functions authorized herein by entering into agreements or contracts with public or private agencies, corporations, or persons, upon such terms and conditions as he deems to be appropriate in carrying out the purposes of this subchapter.

(June 28, 1948, ch. 687, §7, as added Oct. 26, 1951, ch. 574, 65 Stat. 644.)